Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dad post!

I know Father's Day posts are probably old news by now, but due to a dab of nostalgia this afternoon, I decided to partake in this cliche trend. Sort of.


What's different about my post? Well, for one, I'm not going to talk about how my father taught valuable life lessons, or how he let me dance on his feet when I was little, or tell a cute story about him scaring away boyfriends. Why? Well, for as long as I can remember, I have spent very little time with my Dad (don't worry, this isn't a daddy-never-hugged me post, I promise).

Every summer growing up, my Mom would put me on a plane and I would fly to Atlanta to visit my Dad. As soon as I'd land, we'd jump right in to his white Nissan pickup truck and drive six hours to the beach where we would spend two weeks at the beach with the whole family. These memories are some of the most fond memories I have of my childhood, and is where I developed my love for the ocean. My dad didn't know much about child-rearing, and we'd always bicker at the end of the two week stay, but he was always fun, trying as hard as he could to make up for being so far away. For that alone, I love my Daddy.
The weirdest part about family is how little you have to see them to feel connected to them. My whole life I've been told I am the spitting image of my father and always detested the comment. Now, I embrace it. He's a guy full of character, and a pretty cool Dad, too!
I can't wait to spend time with him at the beach this July, just like old times!

No comments:

Post a Comment